Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day by Day


I'm learning to take things day by day. . .
Since my last post, Gabriella was pale and not acting like her spunky little self. The blood work that was ordered concerned the specialists a little so they started Gabriella on three antibiotics and she was given a blood transfusion (because her Hematocrit was low, these are the blood cells that carry oxygen to your organs). Since the blood, she has pinked up and acts better. They put the Replogle tube back down her throat to empty her stomach, they call it 'decompressing her stomach' This will give her some comfort, because they think her gut had an inflammatory response to something. While I was holding her Monday night she was in a lot of discomfort. She would turn red and buckle over (like when you have a tummy ache). It was hard for her to settle down and I didn't leave until she was sleeping. (Late night) Yesterday, she seemed to be doing better. I met with a Physical Therapist and she taught me infant massage. She warned me that some babies cry and don't like massage at first and that it should be introduced slowly sometimes. This is a great tool for bonding with my baby. And Gabriella loved it!! She actually fell asleep while I rubbed her belly, rotated her hips and did a head massage. And she loved it so much she was drooling!! The therapist even caught sight of Gabriella smiling while I massaged her.
Later yesterday, while I was sitting next to Gabriella's bedside she pulled out her replogle tube!! Mischief, I tell you, Mischief!! So while she had the tape and tube gone, I could see her face and I took a picture. So now she has the tube again. Thank you all for your great words of encouragement, I don't feel so alone when I read or hear all the support that great friends and family give. Thank you!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I just read your whole blog...she's beautiful! Praying for you, Gabriella, Nate and the boys.
Love, Teri Amedee

Anonymous said...

She's so beautiful!! I can't believe how much she has changed in such a short time! Babies are just amazing...and mischievous! LOL Hope you guys are doing great! Love you, Scott, Sunni, Stefan, Dayne & Felicia