Sunday, January 31, 2010

Busy Week



This past week has been a busy one with appointments to monitor baby, meet with the Neonatology (NICU), Pediatric Surgeon, and my Perinatologist. (A Perinatologist is a Obstetrics doctor that cares for pregnant mothers that have complicated pregnancies). I have been very impressed with how caring all the specialists are and how open their communication is with one another. That is very important to me during this process.

I was given a tour of the NICU, where they will take care of baby after birth. I met the whole team of specialists that work there. I saw some babies that were in incubators, they were so small and precious. It is nice to see where my baby will be cared for and know what will happen after delivery. The Pediatric surgeon gave us a lot of information and suggested that I be induced to deliver in two weeks. February 15, will be the day that we will meet Gabriella. She should go to surgery soon afterward. I was also told to expect baby to stay in the hospital for three months. That means that I should be back home sometime in May. Sometimes if things go well, babies are discharged sooner. If there are complications and she need a second surgery she may need to stay later.

Please keep us in your prayers. I am feeling good and have been keeping track of Gabriella's kicking everyday. This is important to make sure she is not declining in health. According to ultrasounds and fetal non-stress tests (I have these twice a week) she is doing well. The growth ultrasounds show that she is growing well.

The picture above is at the Alaska Native Medical Center. This is where my Perinatologist's office is located. He is a very nice doctor and has had lots of experience with this diagnosis. (88+ cases)

I will be delivering at Providence Hospital in Anchorage, it is a huge hospital and seems very modern. My Mom has been a great help here to me. I'm so glad that I am not alone. Nate will come down to Anchorage for the birth and hopefully stay a couple of weeks.

I am feeling very anxious and excited all at the same time. Thank you, for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers, and for e-mailing me or calling me with encouraging words. Every bit helps...It is so nice to hear from you all.

No comments: